Friday, November 30, 2012

Slow and Steady

Let me catch you up. Since my last post I had my three week check up with my surgeon  At that time I had lost 14 pounds. With the Gastric Sleeve you are supposed to lose an average of 3 pounds a week. The first two weeks after surgery I was on a totally liquid diet. Now I am supposed to be eating soft foods.  It has been difficult eating because I have to have 60 to 80 grams of protein so I spend most of my day drinking protein shakes. After that I'm not very hungry. Also, I don't have much of an appetite and when I do eat food just doesn't taste the same. According to my doctor that will improve. Since my surgeon's office is two hours away my husband went with me to my appointment and we went out to eat before going home. This was the first time I had gone out to eat since my surgery. I ordered soup, grilled salmon and a baked potato. I ate a few spoonfuls of soup and almost two ounces of fish so I was impressed with myself, but the waitress kept asking me if anything was wrong. Obviously I took a lot of food home.

I started walking about a week after surgery and returned to yoga after a couple of weeks. The first 3 to 4 weeks I was really tired so I'd get home and take a two hour nap every day. Right after Thanksgiving I spent four days in bed with a cold. That's when I figured I wasn't getting enough vitamins because I never get sick. I was also having a lot of dizziness so I went to see my general practitioner the other day. He took me off of my blood pressure medicine. It's been less than five weeks since my surgery and I am no longer on medication! He also checked my blood count and everything looked really good.

I an continuing to lose weight too. Since my surgery, five weeks ago, I have lost 26 pounds. I'm sure my weight loss will slow down as I add more my food to my diet, but at this point I am only eating about 700 calories a day.

I feel confident that I made the best decision of my life. 

3 comments:

Sophie said...

I am so proud of your journey!!! 26 pounds?!? A reason to celebrate, my friend!

Anonymous said...

How was the popcorn? Was really anxious about that, since it's hard to digest!

MG said...

wow great blog. I hope you are continuing to move forward.